Baby, it’s cold outside. And by cold, I mean 50 degrees. That’s cold for sunny Florida! I’ve already used the weather as an excuse to drink a (large) soy hot chocolate and wear fuzzy boots. Normally when it’s chilly outside I crave warm things, like my Lemon Pepper Orzo Soup. Strangely, today after an intense yoga class I was craving salad.
Making salad while listening to the most magical violin music is perfection, especially on a cloudy winter night. This salad showcases persimmons, a special winter fruit that adds just the right touch of sweetness to balance out the spicy arugula.
This recipe makes the perfect pre-dinner amount for one person. If you're feeding a family or want to make this into a meal salad, double or triple the recipe. It is important to use balsamic glaze, and not balsamic vinegar, as the glaze is sweeter and thicker.
- 1/2 teaspoon raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 3 baby carrots, sliced thin
- 1/3 persimmon, cut into slices
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 teaspoon shelled hemp seeds
- Whisk together the raspberry preserves, balsamic glaze, and red wine vinegar. Stir in the minced shallots and set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
- Slice 3 baby carrots thinly and layer on top of the arugula. Top with persimmon, hemp seeds, and dressing. Enjoy!
Song of the day: Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling.
Have you ever eaten persimmon on a salad? What are your favorite recipes that include persimmons?