The season of Spring Break is here! I’m very excited to be participating in Spring Break V, a fun collaboration between some amazing vegan blogs sharing recipes this week! First up this week is Beachy Chickpea Salad Lettuce Wraps!
This chickpea salad is a delightful start to warm weather. It’s slightly sweet and tart from the granny smith apples, deliciously filling from the chickpeas and cashews, and the lettuce it’s rolled in is refreshing and crisp. Plus, it’s fairly low in calories, so it’s friendly to all the spring breakers wanting to watch their waistlines.
Spring break here in Florida is all about the beach. The high temperature today was 80 degrees, and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. That’s perfect weather to pack up a cooler, grab your beach chairs and umbrella (and sunscreen!!), and spend the day lounging by the gentle waves. I used to pack sandwiches when I went to the beach, but the bread would get soggy from being in the cold cooler. These lettuce wraps mean no more soggy bread! When you pull them out of your cooler, they’ll be just as crisp as when you put them in, and the first crunchy bite will be a refreshing break from the sun.
While these lettuce rolls are crunchy, creamy perfection, you can also enjoy this chickpea salad between two slices of whole grain bread for some extra oomph! Add thick slices of juicy tomato and top with extra dijon mustard.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely chopped green apple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, chopped
- Large lettuce leaves
- 3 tablespoons mild low-fat vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl with a fork until just a few whole beans are left. Add the chopped apple, carrot and cashews, and stir to combine.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing. Pour the dressing into the chickpea mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon into lettuce leaves and roll up. Enjoy!
This post is part of Spring Break V, a collaboration among vegan and veg-friendly bloggers. Follow along on social media at #SpringBreakV. Want to learn more or become a contributor? Find out more here.