Yellow split peas are a food that doesn’t get enough love. In just one cup, cooked yellow split peas have 16 grams of protein and 64% of your recommended daily fiber intake. They also have 20% of your recommended daily potassium. All of this, and more, with less than one gram of fat. Peas are a powerhouse, and when paired with quinoa they’re out of this world. If you eat one cup each of cooked split peas and quinoa for dinner, you will have eaten 24 grams of protein.
In this Quinoa, Peas N’ Greens Bowl, yellow split peas are given a sultry rich flavor from turmeric and garam masala. This recipe incorporates Indian and Ethiopian notes. The color contrast between the red quinoa, the yellow peas, and the bright green spinach make for a dish you can eat with your eyes and your taste buds.
I topped this dish with Kimchi for a spicy note, but feel free to eat it just how it is, or top it with any number of other things! If you leave the split peas slightly soupy, they can act as a sauce by themselves. This meal doesn’t require a lot of active cooking time and can be made in large batches to enjoy throughout the week. I’ve eaten the quinoa and split peas every day this week for lunch, with a varying rotation of greens on the side after I used all the spinach. If you don’t have red quinoa, regular will work just fine.
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces yellow split peas
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups red quinoa
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound frozen spinach
- Salt to taste
- Kimchi for a topping (optional)
- Saute onion and garlic in 1/4 cup of the water until onions are translucent and most of the water is gone, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 3 1/2 cups water and the yellow split peas. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in all spices, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, until split peas reach desired tenderness.
- In a separate pot, bring veggie broth to a boil. Stir in quinoa, and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cover. Simmer until tender and little white rings appear around the individual quinoa grains, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Line a skillet with a thin layer of water. Saute one pound frozen spinach until tender, approximately 3-6 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Fill a bowl with one part each quinoa, yellow split peas, and spinach. Top with Kimchi (optional) or any other dressing of your choosing. Enjoy!